After you have your ubuntu OS installed and its fully functional, Install the listed applications/packages and make it a perfect desktop and you can do almost anything you can do on windows.
Install these packages:
- Install Software Updates first.
- Install Automatix, it lets you install lots of applications that too without using the termina(Best for windows users like me who have made a recent switch).Refer ->http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405
- Install NTFS-3G if you have windows installed on other partitions, this will mount your windows partition and make it viewable in ubuntu.
- Install multimedia codecs through Automatix.
- Install VLC media player.
- Enable Desktop Effects.
- Speed up your OpenOffice. Refer -> http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/28209/How_to_make_OpenOffice_run_faster_in_Ubuntu
- Install Adobe Reader through Automatix.
This will make Ubuntu a rockin desktop to work with and you certainly won't miss Windows a lot.